Friday, November 15, 2013

Preparing for a night out: Shelter needs become a reality. #NHHAW

The following post is from MENtal Freedom member Spencer. Read more about MENtal Freedom and other Diversity & Inclusion programs at www.tarleton.edu/diversity



As Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week approaches I begin to ponder what it would mean to be homeless. I walk through my apartment and I take note of all the things I depend on in order for me to be successful. I begin to realize how much my success depends on my ability to be prepared for certain events like job interviews, and classes. Without a bathroom, where would I shower? How could I be clean and presentable for events such as these without a dependable shower? I then contemplate which pocket I would elect to be my soap carrying pocket. I look at my alarm clock and recall an instance where I was late to class because the electricity got shut off at my apartment and I didn’t wake up for class. I am sure that would be late to every appointment without that clock. Then again, I doubt that I would want to sleep in at all if I was sleeping on a Heritage Park bench. After contemplating life without only a few of the things I take for granted every day, I begin to realize how difficult my life would become without a place to call my own. As I make this realization I think back to the times I felt no sorrow for a homeless man I saw in Austin, Texas. “Get a job, bum” is what I thought to myself. Looking back I didn’t realize just how difficult that may have been for that person. It is quite easy for me; sure, I have access to clean clothes, a computer to generate a resume on, and a kitchen I can cook food, all to ensure my success. Obviously I have taken these things for granted and undervalued the importance these basic necessities are to my life.
 ~ Spencer, MENtal Freedom

 Sign up to attend the night out, on November 16 7pm to November 17 at 7am by filling out this brief form (organizations and groups welcome!) http://tinyurl.com/hungerandhomeless. Attendees MUST be current Tarleton students and bring their ID. Everyone should bring a warm blanket (or rent a sleeping bag at Rec Services). 


We hope that you will stop by the office (TSC # 21). Also, look for us on social media. Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TarletonDiversityInclusion and read along with our journeys here on the blog:  http://tarletondiversityinclusion.blogspot.com/ 
You can also see our images on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarletondiversity/ 
Or follow us on Twitter: @DiversityTSU or email us directly at Diversity@Tarleton.edu 

No comments:

Post a Comment