Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hunger and Homelessness Night Out event

The following post is from Multicultural Ambassador and Bold member, X. Read more about these programs at www.tarleton.edu/diversity

The last few weeks have been exciting and long. Even though I am not excited about the cold weather that will come during the night out, I am excited about the experience. This event is really dear to me because I remember my granddad taking me around downtown Dallas and me seeing all the homeless people and wondering why they were homeless. I still remember the day when some MSL members and I were at the football game and we were wondering why people were sleeping in tents at the intramural fields. I thought it was social work because I had remembered a year before that they were doing homeless awareness. Then I had a GREAT idea! I suggested to MSL that we should do a camp out for hunger and homeless awareness and let’s just say they all thought my idea was stupid and there was a huge argument. Even though I was not a part of the Diversity and Inclusion idea/process the first year, it is great to see this actually happening and succeeding on our campus. I am also excited about the Hunger Games twist that Diana and I created for this year’s night out. I know it will be a fun time, if I have to die for it!!! J

~ X, Multicultural Ambassador and Bold member

Sign up to attend the night out, on November 16 7pm to November 17 at 7am by filling out this brief form (organizations and groups welcome!) http://tinyurl.com/hungerandhomeless. Attendees MUST be current Tarleton students and bring their ID. Everyone should bring a warm blanket (or rent a sleeping bag at Rec services for $2). 

We hope that you will stop by the office (TSC # 21). Also, look for us on social media. Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TarletonDiversityInclusion and read along with our journeys here on the blog:  http://tarletondiversityinclusion.blogspot.com/ 
You can also see our images on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarletondiversity/ 
Or follow us on Twitter: @DiversityTSU or email us directly at Diversity@Tarleton.edu  


No comments:

Post a Comment