Thursday, June 27, 2013

Upward Bound Experience

The following blog entry is from Jericha, a Multicultural Ambassador with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion after leading an activity about diversity and inequities in our society.

Upward Bound Experience

            We hosted a Culture Walk for the Tarleton Upward Bound students. I am VERY EXCITED so far and happy I got to meet so many new people! To start off with the program we broke into groups and the students played Bingo! It was cool because they had to interact with everyone in order to fill the cards. It really seemed like the students enjoyed the Bingo because they were able to learn new things about the people they have been spending so much time with.
                Next we did the Line of Equity. I really liked this activity because when we practiced it I was a little conflicted. I was not really sure what my position was representing but after discussing it I was able to see what I have gained from the activity.
               The students participated well and listened intently. Once every one took their positions we discussed how it made them feel. Some were confused as to why there was such a big difference in the group, and after discussing they realized that this activity reflects our society, being that there is a top, middle, and bottom. We tired to explain that being in the front does not make you "winner" and being in the back does not make you a 'loser.' I think the students really enjoyed this activity and will take away an appreciation for the diversity that surrounds us.
                 Towards the end we had some extra time so as a group we talked about where we are from and what interests us. This was great because it yet again gave us a chance to see how diverse our group was, and how we are all here in peace. We tired to express that everyone can be comfortable here which I think is very important so that that may take as much away from this activity as they can. I really enjoyed working with these students, my colleagues, and I look forward to even more great things to come!

~ Jericha H., Multicultural Ambassador

We hope that you will stop by the office (TSC # 21). Also, look for us on social media. Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TarletonDiversityInclusion and read along with our journeys here on the blog:  http://tarletondiversityinclusion.blogspot.com/ 
You can also see our images on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarletondiversity/ 
Or follow us on Twitter: @DiversityTSU or email us directly at Diversity@Tarleton.edu  

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you completely Jericha! I believe that the students who took initiative to participate in the Upward Bound experience "[took] away an appreciation for the diversity that surrounds us." In addition, I think that through participation, in the Culture Walk, students were able to see similarities in those that "on the surface" seemed the most diverse. By doing so, it is my opinion that, Diversity and Inclusion compliment one another.

    ReplyDelete