Thursday, November 15, 2012

A night of sleeping outside

When I laid down on top of my card board box, that laid on top of dirt and rocks, I knew that once I drift off to sleep I would be very uncomfortable. As the night continued, the wind started blowing and clouds began to move faster. It was really dark, and I began to hear footsteps, which frightened me. (In the morning, we realized no one was really there.) One side of my body was engulfed in pain and as I switched sides, I discovered there was no pleasure in laying on either sides of my body. As the wind increased a table not too far away fell on top of me. By this time I was in pain, freezing, irritated, frustrated, and hungry. I was ready to go home. Falling asleep for the first time I remember telling myself I can’t wait until seven o’clock.
At seven o’clock, I got up and told my boss that I did not want to participate in the camp out next year. It was a miserable night. This was a tough experience that taught me to never take life for granted, work hard so I can keep a job, and be thankful for what I have. Being homeless is no joke, and it’s definitely a challenge.

Visit The Office of Diversity & Inclusions website for more information about our events http://www.tarleton.edu/diversity/upcomingevents.html
~ Multicultural Ambassador Terra T.

No comments:

Post a Comment